Amey, the support services specialist, and its partners, have signed a £135 million contract with Renfrewshire Council for the Renfrewshire Schools PPP Project. The contract has been signed through the Renfrewshire Schools Partnership Limited (“RSP”), a joint venture company owned by Amey Ventures Investment Limited, Carillion Private Finance and the Bank of Scotland Corporate.
Under the 32 year contract, RSP will assume responsibility for the construction of ten new schools, which will comprise six primary and four secondary schools, two community nurseries and a community learning centre. The schools, which carry a build value of just under £100 million, will be managed by Amey on behalf of the consortium. It is expected that the first facility will be completed by the middle of 2006 with the remainder due for completion by the end of 2007.
With relation to Amey, the value of the operational management contract will be £177m (nominal value). Amey will be responsible for a range of service including: security, janitorial services, energy management and utilities supplies, grounds maintenance, waste management, fire and emergency management and cleaning.
Carillion will be responsible for the design and build of the new schools, with the senior debt finance for the project being provided by the Bank of Scotland Corporate.
Amey’s success in reaching financial close for the project follows the Company’s successful involvement in the £360 million PFI schools contract for the City of Edinburgh Council and the £1.2 billion 3ED Glasgow Schools project for Glasgow City Council. The latter represents the UK’s largest-ever educational PPP contract.
Mel Ewell, Amey’s Chief Executive, commented: “We are delighted to have reached financial close with Renfrewshire Council’s and look forward to playing our part in contributing to the Council’s principal aim, namely raising the levels of achievement by pupils of all ages in Renfrewshire’s schools.”
Notes to Editors:
- Services to be provided include:
- The design, new build or refurbishment and lifecycle management for the duration of the 30-year contract
- Grounds and building maintenance
- Catering services
- Cleaning services
- Janitorial, caretaking and security
- Equipment provision (excluding IT)
- Porterage and Churn Management
- Energy Management and Utilities Supplies
- Building and Fabric Maintenance
- Pest Control
- Waste Management
- Disaster Management
- Health and Safety
- Fire and Emergency Management Amey is a provider of integrated business support services to the public and private sector and is working closely with central and local government to deliver strategic education, health, transport and defence projects. Services range from the management of large-scale transportation infrastructure to the delivery of professional and back office services.
- The Renfrewshire Council area lies to the west of the Scottish Lowlands with the historic towns of Paisley and Renfrew at its heart. The Council serves 177,000 people and covers an area of around 100 square miles; it is the ninth largest counci