Our Zero Code is our simple work code that highlights the key actions we must all take to protect ourselves and others from harm. It's aim is to focus attention on encouraging and developing correct and safe behaviours, and it applies to everyone who works for and with Amey. Making a personal commitment to Zero Code contributes to our goal of Target Zero
How do I engage and brief my teams?
Below is a list of tools that will help you to understand and communicate Zero Code to your teams.
- Zero Code Video; an introductory video that explains Zero Code and why we need it
- Zero Code Leaders Guide; a summary of our aims and strategy
- Zero Code Leaders Checklist; a simple list of actions to guide Account Leaders
- Zero Code VFL Form: a new template to assist in completing VFLs
- Zero Code Huddle Card; a useful tool to guide your Zero Code briefings
- Zero Code Stop-Start Exercise; this will help you and your team identify what you need to focus on or do differently
- Ready to Go materials are listed on this page
Other useful tools:
- Zero Code Branding Guidelines; a useful document to help with branding
- Zero Code Catalogue; a list of all the collateral that can be ordered, and information on how to do so
- Zero Code PowerPoint; a useful Zero Code summary
- Zero Code Posters; a link to all the Zero Code posters (for individual posters, see link to the side)
What's a ShoutOut! card?
Everyone has a right to work in safe and healthy conditions and all employees should feel empowered to Shout Out! and speak up if something isn’t right or conditions are not acceptable or unsafe.
Both Andy Milner, CEO and Gary Booton, HSEQ Group Director have signed the back of the Shout Out! card, committing to live by Zero Code and to when needed ShoutOut! Please sign, carry and use your Shout Out!
We want to hear about examples of our people using their ShoutOut! card - email us at email@example.com or post your story on Yammer #zerocode #shoutout
Quarterly communications focused on each of the four Zero Code principles.
The four principles
Ready to go
- I will attend work, drive vehicles and operate equipment knowing that I am fit and well
- I will always make sure risks have been assessed and that I understand them
- I am clear on what my role is and the value I add to my team
- I will only use the tools and equipment provided and approved for the task
- I will only carry out tasks that I am trained and competent to do
- I will always wear the appropriate personal protective equipment for the job
Stick to the plan
- I will make sure I know and understand the plan
- I will always check that I am following processes and safe systems of work
- If things change I will re-assess and only start work again when it is safe to do so
- I will always make sure I am in the safest working position
- I will remain alert to what is happening around me and react accordingly to stay safe
- I will ‘Shout Out!’ if anything is unacceptable, to keep myself and others around me safe
Zero Code Posters
"Zero Code has four simple principles, which apply to everyone in Amey. By adopting these four steps across our organisation we will drive zero harm to the next level."
"Putting people first is one of our core values. And I strongly believe that the health, safety and wellbeing of our people and those around us should be the priority over everything else."