Planning to take a ‘Year in Industry’ as part of your undergraduate degree? Or looking for a short term placement to improve your knowledge? Then look no further. We can provide you with valuable, challenging experiences to compliment your goals.
We are a diverse and ambitious company managing large and high-profile infrastructure projects, as well as providing services that keep the country running.
You might not have heard of us, but each day, practically everyone in the UK benefits from a service we provide. If you’ve had a hot shower. Taken a train or driven to work or had your rubbish collected it’s quite likely that we helped with this.
By keeping these services running smoothly – the ones that really matter – our team of 20,000 is helping to create better places to live, work and travel. Making things better every day for people and communities is at the heart of the way we work. And we pride ourselves on delivering great services, backed by cutting-edge data and technology.
Real experience on-the-job
On-the-job learning is an important part of our Undergraduate Programme. If you’re successful in securing a year-long or short term placement with us, you’ll be working on interesting, real-world projects. Working with and supported by technical specialists.
If you’re interested in a career in any of our sectors, our Undergraduate Programme will give you a great understanding of the opportunities available to you. You’ll be able to develop your professional and technical skills and gain valuable experience to add to your CV.
We offer placement opportunities in the following areas:
- Science, Engineering (civil, mechanical, electrical, rail and geotechnical) and Technology
- Quantity Surveying / Commercial
- General Management / Operations
- Business (HR, IT, finance, communications, procurement, legal and bidding)
Who are we looking for?
- Students working towards an undergraduate degree who are predicted to achieve at least a 2:2
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills, with evidence of problem-solving ability
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- People who enjoy a challenge – we’ll ask you to work on a whole range of projects, to help you develop your skills
- Ability to use MS Office
- Relevant work experience would be desirable
We’ll need you to be:
- Committed and passionate about your career and our industry
- A natural self-starter, focussed on developing both personal and professional skills to drive your career forwards
- Eligible to work and live permanently in the UK
How to apply
Applications to our Undergraduate Programmes are open all year round. Vacancies are advertised here where you will find a list of our currently available roles. For more information, select the role you are interested in and you will be given the option to apply. And the application process is simple. Just answer a few questions about yourself and upload your CV.
If you can’t see an opportunity that’s right for you at the moment, please sign up to our 'Job Alerts' so we can tell you when a suitable placement becomes available.