Our agile team of consultants, engineers and designers are united by their desire to champion the infrastructure around us, because ‘better places’ demand better asset innovations: longer lasting, harder working and better performing – as well as more sustainable. It’s about end-to-end solutions with day-to-day impacts. Our team of 3,000 experts are hands on: dedicated to solving client-centered problems by avoiding cookie-cutter solutions. We leverage client insight; real-time data science; asset analytics; smart planning and design; as well as network and asset management capabilities to transform how our transport, utilities, property and public assets perform, day in, day out.
We challenge the ‘why’ as much as the ‘what’. We think about how consumer behaviours – and expectations – are changing and leverage human data as much as big data. We are infrastructure technologists AND futurologists: long-term vision powering lifetime value. We have intelligent heads but our boots are firmly on the ground: challenging, anticipating, solving, inventing. Inspiring with science, not blinding by it. Passionate about seeing our cutting-edge contributions played out in the real world
What is the purpose of this role?
You will be working in a client focused role on a new generation Design Support Contract with Highways England and you will need to develop and maintain a strong relationship with the client. You will be responsible to ensure portfolios of projects are delivered, cost-effective, technically sound design solutions are produced to programme and within budget checking for compliance with all relevant technical standards.
What makes this role unique?
You will be working on a new generation Design Services Contract co-located with Highways England. This will enable you to develop close working relationships with the Client to ensure projects are delivered to meet the Clients objectives of Safety, Ownership, Passion, Integrity and Teamwork.
What will this role involve?
Roles and responsibilities
- Provide client focussed design delivery
- Execute principal designer duties under CDM 2015 and lead CDM within the team
- Lead design team to ensure the specified Task Order outcomes are delivered on time, to budget and to the required specifications
- Ensure project requirements are fully met and technically sound design solutions are produced
- Ensure compliance with all associated design, health, safety and quality standards
- Provide advice and guidance for staff, leading development of staff to professional registration
- Check and approve Task Order estimates
- Drive innovation and continual improvement throughout the design team
- Lead on health and safety within design, with focus on safe design for construction, maintenance and demolition.
Skills, training and knowledge
- Chartered Engineer OR
- Degree level qualification plus15 years relevant experience
Skills, training and knowledge
- CDM 2015
- CDM 2015 Principal Designer course
- Personal Highways Safety (PHS)
- CSCS / ECS (or equivalent)
- Visible Felt Leadership (VFL)
- Environmental Awareness
- Use of relevant Technical Software
- Whole Life Design/Buildability
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Microsoft Project /Oracle Primavera P6
- Knowledge of NEC contracts
- Lean practitioner
- Technical Report Writing skills
- Experience within the highways structures sector
- Design Experience
- Strategic and technical leadership skills
- Communications skills
- Project co-ordination and management experience
- Financial control and management
- Pricing and cost estimation
- Experience with multi-discipline teams
- Collaborative mapping and planning skills
- Experience in stakeholder engagement
- Problem Solving/Innovation and Continual Improvement
- Leading design teams within, or consisting of, larger multi-discipline environments
- Project coordination and management
- Leadership and collaboration experience Considerable design knowledge within their discipline
- Health and safety legislation
- Cost build up and commercial aspects of Task Orders
- Experience on Highways England contracts
- Risk/Change Management
- Performance management
- Commercial Management
- Structured Innovation (TRIZ)
- Multi-discipline design team management experience
- Experience of managing teams on previous Highways England contracts