We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
Are you a Technical Director passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry such as TRU, Wales and Borders, and CrossRail?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
What are we looking for?
Due to an increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Technical Director within our Signaling discipline.
The successful candidate will provide guidance and leadership to the Signalling Engineering Management community and will have extensive experience in the management of the engineering output of high value, complex multidisciplinary projects for varied and demanding clients. They will be responsible for reviewing and further developing our EM processes, where appropriate taking best practice from other parts of Amey and the wider industry.
As a chartered professional, they will maintain the competence management system for the engineering managers in Amey Consulting Rail, linking competence assessments with personal development opportunities, identifying clear paths to success. They will assist the Head of Engineering in driving the attainment of appropriate professional qualifications in the engineering disciplines.
This role will offer the opportunity for the right candidate to innovate and use the latest technology to develop themselves and the projects they work on. We are continuously working hard to collaborate with clients and sub-contracts to ensure we are successful in the objective of improving the world we live in.
In a typical week you will:
• Act as Amey’s technical expert and representative within the signalling discipline, providing direction, leadership and guidance as appropriate to internal technical teams, operational managers, clients and suppliers
• Provide leadership in the training, mentoring and development of staff to achieve appropriate professional qualifications and career ambitions and providing direction to trainees and operational managers as required
• Deliver competency management of staff in line with industry best practice (Note IRSE Licencing is covered by our IRSE Licencing Scheme Manager)
• Develop and implement a continuous improvement process to promote technical best practice throughout the business
• Ensure all members of the signalling team are kept informed of new and updated standards and industry developments
• Drive innovation and best practice in the field of signalling.
• Maintain and implement the competence management system for all signalling staff
• Work with senior managers and directors to develop and deliver the business plan
• Provide technical direction and support to the bidding process
• Identify and exploit opportunities to raise the profile of the business in the market place
• completed as required by standards prior to or during the process of operations
• Set a personal example and take the lead in all aspects of health and safety management
• Manage professional development of others
• Prepare technical papers, thought leadership articles and represent Amey at industry forums and events.
• Have demonstrable experience of working as a Contractors Engineering Manager and CRE for the signalling discipline.
We want to hear from you if you have:
• Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject, or significant demonstrable experience in Railway Signalling design.
• Chartered/Incorporated Engineer and/or holder of an IRSE Engineering Manager Licence with a commitment to achieving the Senior Engineering Manager licence within 2 years of taking the post.
• Membership of an appropriate professional institution at Fellow grade or equivalent or working towards this level of membership.
• Registered/accredited as a training manager for an appropriate professional institution
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
• Competitive salary
• Exceptional development and progression plan
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
• Discretionary Bonus Scheme
• Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
• Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.