Think big, create better
Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders – Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
Due to progression within the team we are looking for an experienced highway design engineer to lead our Major Projects & Developments team for our partnership with Staffordshire County Council. As Principal Project Manager, you will be responsible for the design and project management of a programme of schemes while also focussing on proactively engaging with developers in Staffordshire to showcase the innovative partnership and grow the business. Your Major Projects & Developments team has 15-20 highway design engineers which you will line manage and mentor, making sure that all the specified project outcomes are delivered on time, within budget and to a high quality
As Principal Project Manager you will be part of the senior management team for the account and will also support with account strategy and development. This could be an ideal progression opportunity if you are an experienced Highway Design Engineer who is looking for a move away from a 100% technical role, wishing to utilise your influencing, leadership and project management skills
This is a unique role within Amey and the private sector given the level of autonomy enabled by the partnership arrangements with our client. You will be responsible for the end to end delivery of projects and undertaking many aspects of the traditional client role, while ensuring we continue to deliver an excellent service to all clients.
Our partnership with Staffordshire County Council was established in 2014 and is a £1bn pound initiative to help deliver sustainable economic growth to the region. Our 70-person strong Staffordshire Design Hub (SDH) is based in central Stafford and in the same building as SCC, which are a short walk from the train station and with excellent road links to Birmingham, Derby, Manchester and Telford. In addition, we retain staff in strategic depot locations where they may be best placed to deliver the service. We have a progressive, flexible attitude towards accommodating work life balance and flexible/agile working.
In a typical week you will:
- Line manage your team, ensuring team compliance with Amey values and policies.
- Manage a challenging programme of highway works from creation of the programme, sign-off, detailed design and then supervision through the construction phase with an emphasis on client requirements and innovation
- Develop effective design solutions that are consistent with the briefs and overarching policies
- Lead on continued growth of the account, building and maintaining strong relationships with developers and other prospective clients in Staffordshire and beyond
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
- Liaise with clients (both internal and external) and ensure their requirements are effectively communicated to the wider team/account
- Check and approve engineering designs, calculations, and oversee drawing production
- Forecast and monitor financial performance of the projects portfolio, providing regular detailed reports and commentary to support any variations
- Support the account with executing divisional requirements and input into the account Integrated Management System
- Prepare and check tender documents and scheme cost estimates
- Prepare and check technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations
- Manage, develop, coach and motivate employees in the team and support with recruitment as and when required
- Assist with project / resource planning and programming
- Proactively manage the partnership performance data for your team
- Effective management and response of project related correspondence
- Lead on ensuring suitable contract administration is in place for all NEC contracts
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have Chartered or Incorporated status held with an appropriate professional body
- You have knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You are capable of acting as engineering lead or engineering day-to-day main contact for a project where required under the terms of the commission
- You are able to demonstrate high level experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Senior/Principal/Associate Highway Design Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements
- You have experience of managing project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are experienced in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.