Are you interested in playing a crucial part in supporting the education of the next generation? An excellent opportunity to contribute to your community by keeping schools safe and ensuring students are safe.
Location: Outwood Academy
Address: Engine Lane, Shafton, Barnsley, S72 8RE
Salary: £19,500 per annum
Hours: 37.5 per week
Job Background and Purpose
Reporting to the Premises Manager, the Maintenance Assistant is responsible for ensuring a consistent approach to reactive and proactive maintenance.
To follow a maintenance program ensuring operational needs are met at all times.
Carry out proactive and reactive maintenance work as required
Basic DIY skills for routine maintenance, basic computer literacy
Health and Safety
- Immediately report to the Service Desk any hazards discovered. Assist in ensuring pedestrian safety at all times using appropriate methods and equipment, especially cleaning of path and steps in the winter months
- Carry out fire evacuation drills and fire alarm tests with the assistance of the school and the Authority in accordance with fire procedures and statutory provisions
- Assist with the inspection of the Grounds, building, building services and facilities.
Customer Service and Security
Liaise with the FM office with regards to customer requests and tasks, ensuring Service Desk requests are actioned promptly
- Undertake/assist caretaking staff when work load allows in general porterage duties including the movement of furniture, equipment and general deliveries
- Ensure that verbal requests from the school’s staff are actioned promptly or referred to the Premises Manager.
Contribute to the Security Management System in accordance with the Service Delivery Plan
- Ensure that all windows and doors are in a state of repair at all times
- Ensure that appropriate action is taken against trespassers and the appropriate authorities have been informed
- Deal with 3rd Party contractors
Undertake planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM), fault finding, repairs, minor improvements and new works across the portfolio of Advanced Learning Centres assisting the Mobile Technician in more Technical issues, including :-
- Assisting in the diagnosis and repair faults in Electrical and mechanical installations, plant and equipment; deal with new situations as they arise and pass on knowledge to others.
- Heating and hot water installations together with associated equipment installed in plant rooms and boiler houses, e.g. boilers, calorifiers, pumps, heating controls, safe temperature mixing valves etc.
- Plumbing and cold water supplies together with associated drainage installations.
- Fire alarms, emergency lighting systems.
- General power and lighting.
- Monitor the Building Management System (BMS) and rectify/reset/report alarms and faults as required.
- Ensure spares and materials are available and utilised appropriately and economically.
- Safely operate and maintain all fixed and mobile tools, equipment and workshop machinery.
- Assist in the instruction of others on aspects of maintenance.
- Ensure that in carrying out all duties there is a compliance with statutory regulations, current legislation and local codes of practice and policies.
- Rectify/make safe if possible any faults discovered and report to the Premises Manager.
- Erection and dismantling of tower scaffolding.
- Complete log sheets, report sheets and test certificates for legislative and statutory requirements as necessary.
- Undertake training as required.
- Look to comply with all health and safety, quality and environment legislation and standards.
- Carry out additional ad hoc duties as required.
Experience and Knowledge
Previous experience in a similar role
- General maintenance skills required
- Sound knowledge of safe maintenance and cleaning techniques
- Ability to use own initiative
Amey is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and requires all staff to demonstrate this commitment in every aspect of their work. You will be required to undergo our enhanced DBS check before commencing employment – please let us know upfront on any queries should you have any.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. Our team of 16,000 provides consulting and infrastructure support services. We make a difference by designing, building, maintaining and investing in our country’s services and infrastructure including the UK’s road and rail infrastructure, keeping schools safe and clean, managing the UK’s defence estate, safely escorting prisoners and keeping prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver key utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on. Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees.