We’re all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK’s road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK’s defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You’re surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There’ll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You’ll be stretched but always supported. Whether it’s working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you’ll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.
What is the purpose of this role?
We are looking for an experienced Principal Commercial Manager with extensive experience of Total Facilities Management contracts to join our Secure Infrastructure Facilities Management team. The role will have responsibility for:
- Leading the commercial aspects of a large TFM Contact (including extensive additional/ project works) in the North and Midlands.
- Working alongside the Account Director, you will lead the Commercial Team to manage all commercial and contractual matters.
Key focuses will be to implement commercial best practice to maximise value and minimise risk and cost to the Amey business and to support the development and maintenance of the Contract.
You will support the Business in developing and implementing commercial and procurement strategies for successfully winning bids and managing post contract activities; and be an ambassador for Amey and champion best practice.
What will this role involve?
- Develop a high performing Commercial team for the Contract
- Lead or provide commercial support to deliver good P&L results to a value of c£140m p.a.
- Drive consistency of good valuation/commercial/procurement processes both pre and post Contract
- Supporting contract commercial team with cost control of project including providing and monitoring budgets and forecasts in conjunction with the Project Manager/Senior Commercial Manager; production of weekly/monthly cost and value reconciliations and forecasts and advising the Project Manager/Senior Commercial Manager thereof
- Support the bid director in winning strategic bids by use of good commercial strategy and process to deliver robust commercial solutions in bids
- Deliver the pre and post Contract opportunity and risk process including mitigation of risk
- Negotiate with key customers
- Develop good strategies for further improving cash flows
- Support post contract activity by delivering solutions to discrete post contract strategic issues
- Develop sub-contractor category & engagement strategies and align our supply chain in support of our customer needs and aspirations
- Work with key supply chain companies
- Developing and implementing arrangements for increasing the awareness and competence of Amey staff in supply chain management best practices
- Contribute to supply chain thinking across the Secure Infrastructure Division, transferring best practice and contributing to wider initiatives where appropriate
- Embed within the business unit supply chain our Amey Values, culture, target zero, diversity, community and sustainability policy and strategies
- Create a customer focused, performance led culture, collaborating with other functions to deliver supply chain excellence
Role specific responsibilities
- Be part of the development of a clear and well documented Commercial & Procurement strategy that supports all the accounts delivery in terms of revenue growth and profit improvement.
- Develop category strategies for each major spend category and drive up supplier value and drive down costs.
- Structure our commercial deals with major suppliers to incentivise them to deliver additional value and apply a "gain share and pain share" contract incentive approach where appropriate.
- Detailed understanding of contract conditions.
- Ability to lead, manage, develop and recruit staff.
Degree qualification (RICS accredited or equivalent), or able to demonstrate a proven track record in quantity surveying / commercial management with significant experience in a senior role with major infrastructure providers.
- Substantial experience in Senior Commercial leadership at a senior level within a complex matrix organisation.
- Experience of large value TFM Contracts and Project Works
- Experience of the Procurement of a robust and cost-effective Supply Chain.
- Experience of leading high performing teams.
- A professional qualification is preferred.
Strong interpersonal, leadership and communication skills are essential, and the role will require strong skills in managing a range of stakeholder relationships