We’re committed to creating better places for everyone. We take pride in making a difference, but also in being the difference: for the communities we serve, whatever the challenge, whatever the weather. By designing and consulting, building and maintaining, managing and investing in our country’s services and infrastructures we create better places to live, work and travel.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You’re surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There’ll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You’ll be stretched but always supported. To bring out the better in you. To shine as a better team player or self-starter. To help you commit to better each day, delivering whatever steps it takes, great or small, to create better places for everyone.
We believe that we are what we do.
It’s more than just wanting to do better.
At Amey we’re proud to be the better.
What is the purpose of this role?
To act as a Principal Civil Engineer in the assessment of rail structures to;
- Deliver all the specified assessments tasks on time, within budget and to Network Rail, Highways Agency and other relevant standards.
- Provide technical leadership
- Aim to ensure compliance with Company and Network Rail management process and systems
- Aim to ensure the highest standards of safety.
What will this role involve?
The core works cover rail structures assessments for underbridges, overbridges, footbridges, canopies, depots and undercrofts to fully meet the client specification in accordance with relevant standards. Aspects of your role could involve;
- Preparation and check of technical assessment calculations
- Preparation and check of technical assessment reports and drawings
- Preparation for and undertaking of site work to carry out inspection for assessments and inspection/examination of assets – providing on-site technical leadership where required
- Preparation and check of technical remits
- Maintaining high technical standards, consistent with the project brief and in accordance with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations relevant standards and HSEQ documentation
- Exercising independent engineering judgement and providing innovative solutions to engineering problems
- Leading the supervision and mentoring of less experienced or junior staff in the production of technical drawings, reports and calculations and provision of feedback as appropriate
- Engaging in client and third-party liaison and maintaining good working relationships
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with the Client and other relevant stakeholders
- Supporting the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts
- Assisting with project planning, programming, cost control and reporting on programme delivery, resources and budgets
- Implementation of effective, value for money and innovative solutions
- Keeping up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate applying best practice within the team environment
- Undertaking contractual accountabilities as defined in the appropriate contractual documents or technical standards when assigned, e.g. NR/L2/INI/02009 Contractor’s Engineering Manager (CEM) or Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE)
What are we looking for?
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE)
- Able to satisfy the requirements for registration/accreditation as a training manager for an appropriate professional institution, e.g. Supervising Civil Engineer (SCE) for the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite and relevant engineering analysis software packages, such as Superstress/Lusas/Sam Leap 5/ARCHIE-M or equivalent
- Demonstrable strong technical knowledge and capability in Structures Assessments in accordance with Network Rail assessment standards and with all major structural materials
- Familiarity and experience with DMRB structures and procedures
- Design experience BS and EN standards
- A technical leader
- A proactive and collaborative team member, who can work closely with colleagues and fit seamlessly into a delivery team
- Desire to develop existing skills and acquire new technical competence to enhance personal and team capabilities
- Dedicated approach to meeting strict project deadlines
- Enthusiasm and self-motivation to drive for continuous improvement
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- Experience of client relationship development and liaison
- Previous Client Representative Engineer experience
- Driving Licence – full, valid and clean
- Eligible to work and reside in the UK
- Fellow of the ICE, CIHT or IStructE
- STE 02, 04 and 05 qualification in accordance with NR/SP/CTM/017
- Personal Track Safety (PTS) AC/DC
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Environmental Awareness
- Responsible Manager CIV019
- Supervising/Delegating Engineer
What makes this role unique?
You will take a leading role in the assessment of historic rail structures, including some of the nation’s most iconic assets.