Think big, create better
Amey Consulting’s Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
As a multidisciplined consultant we have a diverse portfolio of confirmed works and are currently working on several high-profile schemes in Wales including the £1.9billion, 25 year, Wales & Borders rail network and South Wales Metro projects. Mumbles Coastal Protection Scheme in Swansea, WelTag Assessments and Active Travel Schemes.
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
What is the purpose of this role?
Due to increased workload, we are seeking to recruit an Assistant Highways Civil Engineer. The successful candidate will work collaboratively within the highways design team to assist with the design delivery of highways and drainage schemes.
As an Assistant Highways Civil Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll see your work from early design to the very end result, and every project will be different from the last. You’ll feel inspired to challenge yourself, as well as your colleagues. You’ll have the opportunity to thrive and we’ll help you shape your career whether through further qualification, learning new skills or whatever else you need to achieve your ambitions.
What will this role involve?
In a typical week you will:
- Provide support to the Engineer and Senior Engineer within the design team on various design duties including:
- Feasibility and other technical reports
- Planning, programming and cost estimation
- Design production
- Produce design schedules
- Amend design drawings
- Support development of Graduate Engineers and Technicians
- Work to programme to deliver specified designs on time
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your Team
- Be primarily office based but also carry out site visits with other team members
What are we looking for?
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have made progress towards completion of a formal professional training programme with an appropriate professional body
- You are able to demonstrate experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Graduate Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to produce technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in following procedures associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g.
Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are able to comply with technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
We strongly encourage the development towards a professional qualification with a recognised Institution and pride ourselves on mentoring engineers. We can offer significant support towards Chartership, and you will be rewarded with a bonus of up to £5k on completion.
What makes this role unique?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.