We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
From complexity comes simplicity. From better thinking, better solutions.
Think big, create better
Are you a Principal Engineer passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry such as TRU, Wales and Borders, and CrossRail?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
Due to increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Principal Track Engineer. The successful candidate will undertake and oversee production of permanent way design, leading a dedicated track design engineering team. In addition, they will manage the permanent way elements of a complete project.
Being an experienced Principal Track Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it’s further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
In a typical week you will:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the design process, Network Rail’s technical approvals process and engineering management
- Ability to check design work for track design elements of projects and act as an approver
- Expert in the use of the design software in the discipline and also mentor others
- Experienced CRE on UK rail projects on behalf of track discipline
- Manage CDM/CSM/risk analyses and attend HAZID workshops
- Approve designs to ensure all contractual requirements have been satisfied to a level that complies with NR, RSSB and British standards
- Keep up to date with current NR, RSSB and British standards
- Manage the track elements of a complete project
- Lead junior members of the team with development of schemes
- Communicate effectively with the client, attend client meetings and respond professionally to client feedback/DRNs
- Understand the interfaces between all railway disciplines and how these are managed
- Be able to recognise changes to the scope, that will affect cost and programme; and be able to quantify these changes, be aware of process for reporting the change to the project manager
- Communicate effectively with other design/construction disciplines and sub-contractors and attend IDC meetings
- Ensure work is undertaken to programme and budget
- Undertake high complexity design cost estimates and assist with bid development work
- Prepare high level reports and feasibility studies
- Have a working knowledge of BIM and be able to assist others in the use of BIM
- Plan and lead multi-disciplinary surveys
- Undertake the role of CEM in accordance with Network Rail’s processes (desirable but not essential)
We want to hear from you if:
- Achieved CEng / IEng status (or equivalent)
- Significant relevant experience, confirmed using the authority to work process.
- MEng/BEng (or equivalent) degree and significant relevant experience, confirmed using the authority to work process.
- Comprehensive understanding of the Grip For Track Process and Network rail GRIP Process
- Proficient knowledge of Grip 3, 4 and 5
- Experience preparing, reviewing and issuing TQ’s and RFI’s to clients
- In depth knowledge of track design for both plain line and S&C
- Experience with Microstation, PRT, ClearRoute 2, SD Calculator or Track-Ex
- Signed off as an approved CRE for both plain line and S&C schemes
- Experience of pricing for work
- Have a good understanding of BIM
- PTS Trained
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.