We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world’s biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
Are you a Principal Engineer passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry such as TRU, Wales and Borders, and CrossRail?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
Due to increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Principal Civil Engineer. The successful candidate will undertake and oversee production of Civil design, leading a dedicated Civil design engineering team. In addition, they will manage the Civil and Structural elements of a complete project.
Being an experienced Principal Civil Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it’s further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
In a typical week you will:
- Plan and lead multi-disciplinary surveys
- Manage CDM/CSM/risk analyses and attend HAZID workshops
- Undertake the role of CEM in accordance with Network Rail’s processes
- Manage the Civil and Structural elements of a complete project and brief Civil and structural design teams on contractual requirements and standards/workscopes
- Communicate effectively with other design/construction disciplines and sub-contractors and attend IDC meetings/ the client, attend client meetings and respond professionally to client feedback/DRNs
- Undertake high complexity design cost estimates and assist with bid development work and prepare high level reports and feasibility studies
- Act as SCE / DE for UK Spec IEng/CEng
We want to hear from you if:
- Achieved CEng / IEng status (or equivalent)/ hold significant relevant experience
- Have a working knowledge of BIM and be able to assist others in the use of BIM
- Have expertise in the use of the design software in the discipline e.g. including AutoCAD and MicroStation, and can mentor others
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the interfaces between all railway disciplines and how these are managed: the design process, network rail’s technical approvals process and engineering management
- Ability to check design work for Civil and Structural Design elements of projects and act as an approver ensuring all contractual requirements have been satisfied to a level that complies with NR, RSSB and British standards
- Ability to recognise changes to the scope, that will affect cost and programme; and be able to quantify these changes, be aware of process for reporting the change to the project manager
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.