Graduate Civil Engineering Programme
Our two-year Graduate Programme starts you on a journey to develop your career in a challenging, dynamic and supportive work environment. We’ll give you a real role from day one, so you’ll get invaluable experience and exposure working on varied and exciting projects for a large, diverse and ambitious organisation.
We want graduates who excel in their subject and who’ll bring talent, drive and fresh thinking. In return, we’ll provide you with all the support you need to achieve your career goals, because we want you to be successful and grow your career with us.
What will this role involve?
Based at our Amey Consulting Scotland design hubs in Motherwell or Edinburgh, you can expect to be involved in a range of schemes from inception through to construction. We deliver projects throughout Scotland and further afield from bridge inspections to the design, construction and maintenance of nationally significant road schemes. Some projects current to our Scotland teams are the development of the A96 Dualling East of Huntly to Aberdeen, Design and delivery of projects for South West Scotland Trunk Road Contract, Flood protection studies and Design of river engineering and scour management, Design of the A90/A938 Laurencekirk Junction and structural health monitoring schemes for long span bridges across the region.
Our multidisciplinary teams encompass all aspects of investigation, design and construction of roads, bridges and civil structures, geotechnical engineering, ITS and lighting, rail, environmental consultancy, utilities, BIM and transport planning schemes. We pride ourselves in working collaboratively within the team, stakeholders and our clients to deliver innovative and practical engineering design solutions.
Based in our Motherwell or Edinburgh office, you can expect to get involved in the following:
- Preparing design calculations, contract documentation, drawings, technical documents and project reports complying with current standards.
- Undertaking survey duties as required.
- Assisting in the investigation, feasibility study, outline design, detailed design and implementation of highway and railway bridge projects.
- Assisting in the inspection and structural assessment of highway and railway bridge structures.
- Using appropriate technical / engineering and analysis software including Autodesk Structural Bridge Design, Graitec Supersuite and similar.
- Guiding CAD technicians in the development of design drawings.
- Assisting in the management and monitoring of the budget for projects.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation through the design and work stages.
- Assisting in the implementation of effective, value for money and innovative design solutions
What are we looking for?
We treat people as individuals. We want a range of abilities, from practicality and problem solving to precision and creativity. That goes for diversity too. We want a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve and value the experience that you bring to our business.
You’ll also have:
- Minimum 2:2 Degree in Civil Engineering or Civil and Structural Engineering, qualified to satisfy the current entry requirements for CEng through ICE, IEI or IStructE.
- Available to join our programme summer 2021
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing, spoken word, sketches, calculations
- Commitment to studying towards professional qualification
- Strong analytical, written, communication and presentation skills
- Eagerness to develop your existing skills and acquire new ones
- Ability to work independently and in a team, with a dedicated approach to meeting deadlines
- Commercial awareness
- Eligibility to work and live permanently in the UK.
What you will receive from the programme
- A competitive starting salary of £26,500 per annum with salary reviews based on your performance.
- We as a business will support you every step of the way; you’ll have a manager to support your progress, a buddy to guide you whilst on programme and access to a dedicated Early Careers community to support you.
- To support with your personal development, you’ll take part in webinars with the wider Graduate community as well as Wellbeing events to ensure you’re getting the support you need.
- At the end of the programme, you could progress into assistant project engineers or assistant design engineers, depending on the programme you apply to.
As an Amey employee, you’ll also be eligible for our wider benefits and rewards for example, Professional subscriptions, our Employee Assistance Programme, Save with Amey – a fantastic discount scheme for all employees and not to forget our Amey Flexible Benefits Programme where you can opt for benefits that suit you.