Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ.
We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees.
Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
To provide support to a Senior and/or Principal Engineer within a design team to deliver engineering services within an engineering environment which will include; devising and coordinating investigative work, inspections, feasibility and detailed design, production of contract documentation, supervision and overall project management.
To support in ensuring compliance with all relevant technical standards and that the delivery of all the specified project outcomes are on time, within budget and to the quality required.
To support the long-term partnership in putting in place robust programmes and systems of work to continue to improve our services and explore opportunities to secure additional growth on the account.
To contribute to technical excellence and innovation across the entire team.
What makes this role unique?
An opportunity for the right candidate to largely operate on their own initiative and be responsible for progressing projects from inception to completion, alongside highly skilled engineers.
The opportunity to gain exposure to regional technical meetings and forums to develop local strategies and continue to offer an improved technical service.
What will this role involve?
- Preparation of technical designs, drawings and documents
- Financial and programme management of the annual Highway capital programme
- Implement the project requirements to fully meet the client specification in accordance with relevant standards
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence
- Be confident to work under minimum supervision and competent to check the work of others and supervise less experienced or junior staff
- Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision
- Carry out site visits and surveys, inspections and supervise sub-contractors
- Prepare and check feasibility studies, inspection reports, assessment and technical reports and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures
- Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations
- Take line management responsibility for the direction and supervision of junior design team members to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and in accordance with the specification
- Liaising with other disciplines to ensure technically and commercially sound and robust solutions
- Significant stakeholder engagement and management
- Opportunity to support with the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts, when / if required
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment
- Support with performance appraisals for all reporting staff and support learning and development opportunities across the team
What are we looking for?
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE) or approaching CEng or IEng status having completed the necessary training requirements
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite and relevant engineering software packages
- Demonstrable experience in Highway design and construction of local and strategic roads
- Good communication skills and the ability to work within a team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- IOSH managing safety
- IOSH working safely
- Environmental awareness Tool Box talk
- Environmental awareness for managers