Think big, create better
Are you a Principal Engineer passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry such as TRU, Wales and Borders, and CrossRail?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
Due to increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Principal E&P Engineer. The successful candidate will undertake and oversee production of E&P design activity, leading a dedicated Electrical Power design engineering team on projects. In addition, they will provide leadership and mentorship to junior design engineers.
Being an experienced Principal Electrical Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it’s further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
In a typical week you will:
- Planning surveys and leading site survey teams
- Demonstrating a sound understanding of the design process
- Ability to design and check designs where required
- Managing CDM/risk analyses and attending HAZID workshops
- Undertaking the role of Contractor’s Responsible Engineer in accordance with the requirements of Network Rail standard NR/L2/INI/02009
- Approving designs to ensure all contractual requirements have been satisfied to a level that complies with Network Rail, British and European Standards
- Keeping up to date with current Network Rail, British and European Standards
- Briefing electrical power design teams on contractual requirements and standards/workscopes
- Managing the Electrical Power element of a complete project
- Effective communication with the client including representing Amey Electrical Power design at client meetings and responding professionally to client feedback/DRNs
- Effective communication with other design/construction disciplines and sub-contractors including representing Amey Electrical Power design at IDC meetings
- Ensuring work is undertaken to programme and budget
- Undertaking high complexity design cost estimates and assisting with bid development work
- Developing and mentoring junior staff
- Preparing high level reports and feasibility studies
- Supporting the growth of the business, in particular the provision of Electrical and Lighting design services to both new and existing clients
- Line management responsibility if requested to do so
- Deputise for the Principal Engineering Manager when required
We want to hear from you if:
- BEng/BSc or MEng/MSc in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Member of the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET)
- Preferably holding professional registration as an Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the IET. (Working towards is also acceptable)
- Full UK driving licence
- 17th Edition of IET Wiring Regulations
- Excellent level of computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Highly proficient in the use of the English language (both written and spoken)
- Comprehensive knowledge of Network Rail, British and European electrical and lighting Standards
- Sound understanding of systems engineering including the Verification & Validation and SRAM processes
- Excellent understanding of CDM and CSM processes with exceptional skills for managing hazards and risks
- Good understanding of project management processes and structures
- Demonstrates excellent commercial awareness
- Preferably eight years postgraduate experience in railway electrical power design (e.g. signalling power, points heating, lighting and building services, etc.)
- An ability to identify innovative solutions to problems, with an interest in the application and promotion of energy reduction techniques
- Exemplary organisational and leadership skills
- Experienced with leading teams during site surveys
- Self-motivated and pro-active in terms of delivering projects and administering design staff
- Uses clear communication lines within the electrical design team
- Ability to fully undertake the role of Contractor’s Responsible Engineer in accordance with the requirements of Network Rail standard NR/L2/INI/02009
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.