Think big, create better
Are you a Principal Engineer passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry such as TRU, Wales and Borders, and CrossRail?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
Due to increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Principal OLE Engineer. The successful candidate will undertake and oversee production of OLE design, leading a dedicated OLE design engineering team. In addition, they will manage the OLE elements of a complete project.
Being an experienced Principal OLE Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it’s further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
In a typical week you will:
- Carry out site surveys, identify risks and hazards and provide appropriate reporting
- Keep up to date with current NR, RSSB and British standards relevant to OLE design
- Develop effective conceptual, outline and detailed design for OLE engineering solutions in allocation, basic and construction design, concept design solutions that are consistent with the project brief
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
- Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief
- Progress projects through preliminary and detailed design with emphasis on client requirements and innovation.
- Prepare and check engineering designs, calculations, and oversee drawing production
- Prepare and check contract documents and scheme cost estimates.
- Prepare and check technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders.
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations.
- Supervise team members including all engineers, senior engineers, senior technicians and assistant and graduate engineers.
- Undertake Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE) roles for OLE design in accordance with Network Rail standards.
- Respond to queries and liaise with clients, infrastructure owners, the developers and their consultants, Officers of the Company, County, District and Parish Councillors, members of the public and other stakeholder groups
- Assist with contract preparation together with project planning and programming
- Project administration reporting to the Project Manager including monitoring programme delivery, resources and budgets
- Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating for works and fees
- Effective management and response of project related correspondence
- Undertake site supervision duties of contractors and when required
- Checks to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management System and assist in its development
- Support Consulting in the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts
- Complete performance appraisals with direct reports and provide development opportunities
We want to hear from you if:
- A degree qualification in a relevant technical discipline (e.g. BEng/MEng or equivalent) to satisfy the current entry requirements for CEng or IEng
- An understanding of the requirements of the UK Spec for IEng/CEng qualification.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng / IEng through CIBSE, IMechE or IET), Inst Energy or approaching CEng or IEng status having completed the necessary training requirements;
- Good experience of the co-ordination of the NR rail design process and team management.
- Experience of statutory processes – European Standards, Building Control, EA PPG's, Planning Applications etc, ORR guidance, HSE, Group Standards, Network Rail standards
- Thorough understanding of interfaces between overhead line systems and other rail and non-rail assets
- Thorough knowledge / experience of CIBSE Design Guides and thorough knowledge / experience of relevant British Standards
- Working knowledge of Microstation for production of both GA's and schematics in conjunction with CAD team
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.