Think big, create better
Are you a Senior Engineer passionate about using your skills to make an impact? Are you a big thinker who loves to find better solutions to difficult problems? Do you want to work on high profile projects in the rail industry such as TRU, Wales and Borders, and CrossRail?
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 550+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
Due to increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Senior Electrical Engineer. The successful candidate will undertake and oversee production of E&P design activity, leading a dedicated Electrical Power design engineering team on projects. In addition, they will provide leadership and mentorship to junior design engineers.
Being an experienced Senior Electrical Engineer at Amey Consulting, you’ll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it’s further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
In a typical week you will:
- Planning surveys and leading site survey teams
- Demonstrating a sound understanding of the design process
- Ability to undertake design work for electrical and lighting installations
- Undertaking CDM/risk analyses
- Checking designs to ensure all contractual requirements have been satisfied to a level that complies with Network Rail, British and European Standards
- Keeping up to date with current Network Rail, British and European Standards
- Managing the Electrical Power design for small projects
- Effective communication with the client including representing Amey Electrical Power design at client meetings for small projects
- Effective communication with other design/construction disciplines and sub-contractors
- Undertaking low complexity design cost estimates
- Developing and mentoring junior staff
- Deputising for the CRE when required
We want to hear from you if:
- Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree in electrical / power (or related) engineering
- Member of the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET) and having either Incorporated or Chartered status
- Full UK driving licence
- 18th Edition of BS 7671 IET Wiring Regulations
- Excellent level of computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Highly proficient in the use of the English language (both written and spoken)
- Comprehensive knowledge of Network Rail, British and European electrical and lighting Standards
- Good understanding of systems engineering including the Verification & Validation and RAMS processes
- Good understanding of CDM and CSM processes with good skills for managing hazards and risks
- Good understanding of project and engineering management processes and structures
- Demonstrates excellent commercial awareness
- Ideally 7+ years’ experience working in electrical design, preferably in railway electrical power design (e.g. signalling power, points heating, HV, lighting and building services, etc.)
- An ability to identify innovative solutions to problems, with an interest in the application and promotion of energy reduction techniques
- Good organisational and leadership skills
- Some experience with leading teams during site surveys
- Uses clear communication lines within the electrical design team
- Self-motivated and pro-active in terms of checking and supervising design production
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people’s lives. It’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You’ll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You’ll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You’ll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You’ll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.