Amey Consulting are working on various intricate and challenging Rail design projects throughout the UK, including Wales and Borders, TRU, Midland Mainline, and Crossrail. The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, Amey Consulting has become an industry leader in Rail Design consultancy services. With a growing team of 350+ staff, working across our 12 Rail design offices across the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards. We also support people in their need to work flexibly, to fit around any lifestyle need.
Amey secured a fifteen-year contract to be the Operator and Development Partner (ODP) for rail services in Wales. We are transforming the rail services across the whole Wales and Borders route. We are developing, implementing, operating and maintaining the South Wales Metro on the Core Valley Lines (CVL) around Cardiff. This is an exciting opportunity for a Principal Project Manager to join the leadership team for the design development stage.
What will the role involve?
- Work with Associate Director and Technical Directors to develop annual business objectives, plans and budgets for business area
- Maximise operating efficiency, so that projects portfolio is delivered in compliance with the Project Control System to agreed standards and targets Implement quality improvements when opportunities arise Deliver revenue within agreed budgets
- Act decisively to rectify any adverse circumstances that threaten the delivery of the quality and programme agreed with the client
- Define and manager programme of projects, update regularly and ensure that activity managers have sufficient capable resources to meet deadlines
- Maintain regular liaison with all stakeholders and employees on the progress of projects.
- Forecast and monitor the financial performance of the projects portfolio, providing regular (minimum monthly) detailed reports, comparing actual and forecast performance to plan expectations and explaining variations
- Ensure compliance with Health, Safety, Environmental and Assurance regulations. - Ensure that all team members operate according to Amey principles and have a clear understanding of systems and processes
- With support of commercial team, ensure that contracts are in place before work commences including sub contracts and purchase orders for suppliers and sub consultants
- Approve expenditure to the level specified for Band D post holders
- Manage, develop, coach and motivate employees in the project team and recruit staff within the agreed project budget
- Maintain and develop key client contacts to maximise future business opportunities
- Assist Associate Director with development of new business by involvement on key client management process, tendering and winning work
- Assist Associate Director with the preparation and administration of Client Relationship Management Plans
What are we looking for?
- First degree or higher level qualification in suitable Engineering discipline
- Membership of recognised engineering / project management institution
- Computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS Office suite and experienced in the use of project management software – MS Project, Primevera Knowledge of financial and contract management control systems
- Extensive experience on engineering projects with significant experience in the senior management of multidisciplinary teams
- Previous experience in related industry sectors is essential
- Understands and upholds Amey values
- Demonstrates ability to implement and meet targets Supports and contributes to continuous improvement
- Effective leader able to take and be accountable for decisions
- Has a clear understanding of contract and related market dynamics
- Able to implement and support a customer-centric approach Able to manage, develop and motivate a team Demonstrates developed communication and influencing skills
- Flexible worker, as the position is office based, but may require visits to clients, suppliers, third parties and work sites as required
- Work on site during weekday nights, at weekends and bank holidays will be required occasionally
- IOSH managing safely -IOSH working safely- Environmental awareness -Tool Box talk
About Amey Consulting
At Amey Consulting you have a unique opportunity to bring truly ground-breaking work to life by working alongside market-leading consultants in a practical infrastructure environment.
You will be surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges, who also care about your job satisfaction and well-being.
You’ll be stretched but always supported to bring out the better in you and to create better places for everyone.
We believe that we are what we do.
It’s more than just wanting to do better.
At Amey we’re proud to be the better.