We are looking to appoint a Business Director for the Rail business. Reporting into the Sector Business Director you will own the P&L and balance sheet performance and implement the business plan; and to be responsible for Health and safety in the region including driving excellence and champion continuous improvement.
What will this role involve?
• Develop and shape the Divisional business plan as part of Divisional Management Team, in line with Group strategy and working closely with the Rail Sector Director
• Work with Account Directors, Account Managers and contract/regional teams to deliver annual business plan objectives, plans and budgets for each account, that meet Amey budgets / targets
• Deliver required growth whilst delivering / improving upon agreed margins and cashflows
Finance / Operations:
• Lead, review and challenge contract / regional budgets and forecast to ensure consistent, challenging but deliverable approach adopted
• Own the P&L and balance sheet and implement the business plan, managing and reviewing performance of contracts against financial and operational targets
• Seek opportunities for business growth both within and outside the existing contract base
• Lead bid development as required – planning bid strategy, resourcing optimal skills sets, overseeing solution development and planning, leading negotiations and tenders
• Apply Group's management, monitoring and control mechanisms, to ensure compliance and adherence to statutory and legal requirements
• Take accountability for H&S across business area; drive health and safety excellence and champion continuous improvement and best value, ensuring compliance with the quality systems
• Ensure efficient management of the Company's resources; employees, fleet, suppliers and subcontractors
• Drive efficiency, effectiveness and best practice throughout the business area: benchmark performance across contracts, within the region, the Division and competitors and share best practice; identify and implement opportunities for profit improvement
• Work with Group to drive efficiency and effectiveness through the Division
• Ensure successful bidding and mobilisation, working with central teams, where they are present.
• Lead on post contract commercial activity and review
• Ensure that business imperatives are clearly communicated and understood throughout the Division and to others, as appropriate.
• Ensure optimal deployment of Logistics
• Shape and develop safety initiatives; and implement through the region
• Provide guidance on safety requirements and audits – what is audited, skills / competencies of auditors
Customer / Market:
- Develop and manage key client relationships, through regular reviews of contract performance with clients, understanding and managing needs and gaps
- Support, develop and drive a culture of customer centricity
People / Organisation:
- Liaise and work with cross-divisional counter-parts, where appropriate
- Lead, manage and develop the operational teams within the region, including senior staff
- Lead on succession planning for region and contribute to divisional/group succession planning
- Support and reflect the Amey culture across the Division.
What are we looking for?
- Degree level or professional qualification or significant experience in industry
- In-depth understanding of industry and market
- Able to contribute and lead on regional, divisional and market strategy
- A proven track record delivering and implementing in a large corporate environment
- Delivers tangible financial performance (P&L and balance sheet) showing strong business/commercial acumen within a significant business unit
- Shows commitment to and upholds Amey values
- Promotes and implements continuous improvement
- Able to take and be accountable for decisions at a Divisional level
- Able to implement and support a customer-centric approach, providing customers with exemplary solutions
- Has proven ability and commitment to lead, develop and inspire a business team
- Demonstrates excellent communication, relationship management and influencing skills and is an effective collaborator
- Visible felt leadership
- IOSH safety for senior executives
- Detailed knowledge of rail sector
- Extensive experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams
- General Rail experience in construction of new infrastructure
- Extensive senior client experience in providing design and consultancy advice
- Preferably chartered civil engineer
- Extensive knowledge of LEAN, Business improvement and continuous improvement
- Extensive experience in the bidding, winning and mobilising consultancy type design contracts
- P&L capability for up to £75m design services
- Experience of senior management representation on JV / Alliance boards
Everyone at Amey works together towards this common aim, which we call our ‘Better Places’ goal. We’re a commercial business which focuses on helping our customers to serve Britain. Making things better every day for people and communities is at the heart of the way we work.
Today we are one of the most diverse companies in our sector. So at Amey you can grow in a specific sector or broaden your horizons by applying your skills to a new sector. You may be surprised where an Amey career can take you.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What makes this role unique?
You will typically be responsible for revenue of £75-200m (£50-£200m for Consulting) and manage a headcount of 400-1000 people.