Welcome to our education hub!
At Amey, we have a great deal of exciting learning opportunities on offer, to help inspire and educate young people.
We've created this Education Hub to provide free access to a range of inclusive activities and resources that we hope will bring some fun in to the home as well as educate, engage and inspire our young people, from designing a railway route and building structures to learning more about the environment.
All the activities aim to give a taste of the diverse careers that are available at Amey and within our sectors, and in particular with regards to Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) subjects.
STEM resources available for you
Engineering Challenge Pack
We've developed a number of activity sheets to 'plant a seed' and raise awareness of engineering; encouraging young people to explore engineering in a fun and safe environment. These activities have been used by Girlguiding, but we've decided to open it up for everyone to enjoy taking part.
For more information, take a look at the Engineering Challenge Leaders Pack. And, if you'd like to access the 14 Activity Sheets, you can simply do that by Requesting our Engineering Education Pack and Certificate.
Waste and Recycling
We're passionate and committed to educating young people about waste and the three 'Rs' - reduce our waste, re-use our waste and recycle our waste! We've developed a selection of downloadable, fun activity sheets to raise awareness of waste, recycling and the environment.
- Build Your Own Bird Feeder - we've also created a video that gives you step-by-step instructions by our Waste Education Manager, Jonathan Crisp
- Waste Wordsearch
What we hope to achieve through the Education Hub
We've set some clear objectives to guide our education work at Amey. These include:
- Inspiring a diverse pipeline of future STEM talent to join and grow with Amey.
- Providing the opportunities for our people to contribute to our local communities whilst at the same time boosting their professional skills, experience and confidence.
- Ensuring that our activities are inclusive so young people of all ages and all backgrounds are aware of the opportunities that STEM can provide.
- Supporting wider education agenda that support greater social mobility.
Organisations Amey partners with
To support our work with young people Amey has partnered with a number of organisations. Please follow their links for further education resources.
- The Duke or Edinburgh's Award (DofE) - the DofE charity works with organisations across the UK to help young people gain essential skills, experience, confidence and resilience to successfully navigate adult life through the completion of an award. During the COVID-19 pandemic DofE has created a list of Activity Ideas - helping DofE participants to continue with their award #DofEWithADifference.
- Girlguiding - Girlguiding is the leading charity for girls and young women in the UK. Its aim is to build girls' confidence, raise their aspirations and ensure they reach their full potential regardless of gender, identity, background or ability. Girlguiding has recently created a programme called Adventures At Home. This allows parents, carers, volunteers, units and girls of all ages to access a bank of free resources online to create fun and adventure at home!
- Cancer Research UK - Great researchers are at the heart of world-class cancer research and play a vital role in attracting and developing the cancer researchers of the future. They've created a range of fun and educational science activities to get children inspired by the work that their researchers do in the labs to beat cancer. The ‘science at home activities’ are available here and include some great activities for children from setting up a science shop at home to finding out how donations are converted into equipment for our labs and running a blind taste test “clinical trial” with your family.
Further resources available
We have put together a list of free and available online resources to support with home learning during this period. They offer a range of interactive activities and videos, educational learning and wide range of resources to download.