Our agile team of consultants, engineers and designers are united by their desire to champion the infrastructure around us, because ‘better places’ demand better asset innovations: longer lasting, harder working and better performing – as well as more sustainable. It’s about end-to-end solutions with day-to-day impacts. Our team of 3,000 experts are hands on: dedicated to solving client-centered problems by avoiding cookie-cutter solutions. We leverage client insight; real-time data science; asset analytics; smart planning and design; as well as network and asset management capabilities to transform how our transport, utilities, property and public assets perform, day in, day out.
We challenge the ‘why’ as much as the ‘what’. We think about how consumer behaviours – and expectations – are changing and leverage human data as much as big data. We are infrastructure technologists AND futurologists: long-term vision powering lifetime value. We have intelligent heads but our boots are firmly on the ground: challenging, anticipating, solving, inventing. Inspiring with science, not blinding by it. Passionate about seeing our cutting-edge contributions played out in the real world.
What is the purpose of this role?
To provide support to a Senior and/or Principal Engineer within a design team to ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards and that the delivery of all the specified project outcomes are on time, within budget and to the quality required.
What will this role involve?
- Implement the project requirements to fully meet the client specification in accordance with relevant standards
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence
- Be confident to work under minimum supervision and competent to check the work of others and supervise less experienced or junior staff
- Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision
- Carry out site visits and surveys, inspections and supervise sub-contractors
- Prepare and check feasibility studies, inspection, assessment and technical reports and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures
- Comply with the requirements of the Amey Integrated Management System including Health & Safety, Environmental and all other appropriate regulations
- Prepare/check design approach, calculations, drawings and documents
- Take line management responsibility for the direction and supervision of junior design team members to help ensure timely project delivery is achieved within budget and in accordance with the specification
- Engage in client and third party liaison
- Support the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts, when required
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment
- Undertake the performance appraisals for all reporting staff and support learning and development opportunities
What are we looking for?
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE) or approaching CEng or IEng status having completed the necessary training requirements
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite and relevant engineering software packages
- Demonstrable experience in Highway
- Good communication skills and the ability to work within a small team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- IOSH managing safety
- IOSH working safely
- Environmental awareness Tool Box talk
- Environmental awareness for managers